SMT dictionary & SMT abbreviations
In the Surface Mount Technology (SMT) industry, a plethora of abbreviations is common. Some are widely recognized, while others may require a quick reference.
What’s SMT / DIP mean?
- SMT – Surface Mount Technology
- DIP – Dual Inline Package
- THD – Through-Hole Device
- THT – Through-Hole Technology
- PCB – Printed Circuit Board
- PCBA – Printed Circuit Board Assembly
- FPC – Flexible Printed Circuit
- SMD – Surface Mount Device
- LED – Light Emitting Diode
- CSP – Chip Scale Package
- IC – Integrated Circuit
What’s AOI / sPI / AXI mean?
- AOI – Automatic Optical Inspection
- SPI – Solder Paste Inspection
- AXI – Automated X-ray Inspection
- FOV – Field of View
- ICT – In-Circuit Test
- CCD – Charge-Coupled Device
What’s SMTA / IPC mean?
- SMTA – Surface Mount Technology Association
- IPC – Institute for Printed Circuits
What’s MES mean?
- MES – Manufacturing Execution System
- ERP – Enterprise Resource Planning
- PLC – Programmable Logic Controller
- SCADA – Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition
- OEE – Overall Equipment Effectiveness
What does ODM / EMS mean?
- ODM – Original Design Manufacturer
- EMS – Electronics Manufacturing Services
- OEM – Original Equipment Manufacturer
- NPI – New Product Introduction
- BOM – Bill of Materials
What does CE / RoHS mean?
- CE – Conformité Européenne (French for “European Conformity”)
- UL – Underwriters Laboratories
- ISO – International Organization for Standardization
- RoHS – Restriction of Hazardous Substances
- CPK – Process Capability Index
- AERB – Atomic Energy Regulatory Board